Friday, January 15, 2016

Key Fob

For one of the projects I aided in designing a key fob, but instead of starting out with a sketch and then taking it through the CAD process and finishing with a spec sheet translated from SolidWorks like I usually did, I was given a spec sheet initially along with a photo of another design that had a similar concept to this one.

This approach made some aspects of the process easier but also came with new challenges. I was already given the dimensions which was helpful but also took some maneuvering within SolidWorks to get everything to work together the way it's supposed to. Also the fact that I was given a more specific and precise design from the start left me less wiggle room creatively to accomplish the goal. Take a look at the original spec sheet I was given:

The idea here was to make a magnetic key fob (of two separate parts) that would lock into place with a twisting motion. Therefore the top piece features three little feet which would have magnets on the smallest face. These would match up with magnets in the bottom piece that are also on the smallest face of the indentation meant for the foot to slide into. 

Here are two images of the top piece from different angles:




Hopefully this gives a better picture of what the fob is supposed to look like (which was the general purpose of the task in the first place - to aid the manufacturers in understanding the design). And here are a couple of photos of the bottom piece, which might be a little less clear (these photos are all still shots of what were originally 3D PDFs).



As you can see from the original spec, these are just the central pieces of the key fob and would later have key rings attached. 

I was also asked to make another version of this key fob that, instead of having feet that fit into slots, featured a helix shape with a magnet at the bottom so the two halves would attract in a twisting motion. Unfortunately I don't have photos of that one, but the general concept is the same as the one shown above.

Next I'll talk about another hardware project I did for the Men's department.



No comments:

Post a Comment